Friday, June 13, 2008

Scenes from the Texas State Dem Convention #11



As the confusion ensued, tempers started heating a bit in the At Large Nominations. I was sitting next to a sixty-something Obama delegate from Fort Worth, and though it's not intelligible on the video, she told me: "It's getting ugly up in here, and there's some people gonna say some things, and I'm sorry you got to hear this honey," responding to what she feared was going to come out of some of the more emotional mouths running for Obama delegate. My response, some of which came out on the video, was to apologize in return knowing that we have some similarly emotional (and not very lucid) folks on the Clinton side who'd likely respond in kind. As it turned out, there was a lot of emotion ... but everyone kept a lid on racial slurs. It's fitting, as there was no real monolithic vote from any category: everyone was voting everywhere. Contention without the race element displayed. Maybe progress is happening before our eyes and we don't even notice it....

I hope my Fort Worth friend got elected to national! I'd like to see her again....

No comments: